22020 Walk Committee
Billy Copelan, Chairman
Saturday, October 3, 2020
This community event brings together businesses and residents from Glynn county and surrounding areas to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's and dementia research and local support services. This family-friendly event takes place at the St. Simons Pier Village and provides something for everyone. Attendees will honor and remember their loved ones in Neptune Park before participating in either a 1-mile or 2-mile walk through beautiful St. Simons. Proceeds from the walk benefit research efforts through the Goizueta Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at Emory University, one of 27 active centers in the nation supported by the National Institutes of Health and local support services provided by Memory Matters Glynn, a local independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization offering education, social activities for persons with memory impairment, individual consultations, memory screening and support groups in Glynn County. To learn more visit alzheimers.emory.edu and memorymattersglynn.com. For more information including sponsorship opportunities contact Andrea Mickelson, Executive Director.
* We hope to see you October 3 following these very important safety guidelines:
1. Social distancing while in the park and on the route
2. Masks - volunteers, walkers and sponsors are being asked to wear masks at check-in and when interacting at other tables
3. Hand sanitizers will be available to all participants at check-in
4. Refreshments are limited this year and everything will be individually wrapped
5. Registered participants are encouraged to check in early next Wed and skip registration on walk day. "Drive-thru" check in will be held Wed 9/30 from 9:00-10:30 or 4:00-5:30 at the Law Office of Deborah L. Britt parking lot, 302 Plantation Chase, St. Simons.
The schedule for the morning is:
Participant check-in: 9:00-9:30
Opening ceremony: 9:30
Walk to follow ceremony (approximately 9:45)
Although this year's event will look and feel very different, we are excited and grateful to continue raising awareness and funds for this very important cause in a safe manner.
Island Sound will be onsite with fun music, Coastal Selfies will offer an outdoor photo booth for team photos and Just Chillin' Ice Cream Truck will have individual wrapped treats for the kids (and adults too!)
Please plan to join us and help support our loved ones with dementia who need us now more than ever.